Choosing the Right Window Treatment for Your Home
Contractors can provide you with many interior and exterior window treatments that can help block sunlight from entering your home in the hot summer months. The Arizona Energy Management Council has licensed, bonded, and insured contractors to help you decide which type of window treatment is best for your home.
Protect Your Home from the Summer Heat with Shade Screens
Although several window treatment products can protect your home from the grueling Arizona heat, installing shade screens is an effective way to block the sun’s rays and can save you valuable money in energy costs:
Important Questions to Ask Your Contractor
- Shade screens can block up to 50% of the heat from the sun through your south, east, and west facing windows.
- Shade screens are seven times more effective in protecting your home from heat gain than interior window treatments because it blocks that sun’s rays before it reaches the windows.
- Your local utility may provide you with rebates for installing energy efficient shade screens.
- Other window treatments such as blinds, canopies, awnings, window film, and shade trees can also help reduce heat gain in your home in the summer.
Additional Criteria to Consider
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured? (Keep in mind that your contractor’s license should be a residential general contracting, remodeling, or window treatment license.)
- Have you been in business in Arizona for more than one year?
- Do you have unresolved complaints with the Registrar of Contractors and is your license in good standing?
- Are there any unresolved complaints with the Better Business Bureau?
- Can you provide positive customer recommendations and referrals?
Arizona Energy Management Council members abide by all the criteria above and are licensed, bonded, and insured contractors in good standing with the Registrar of Contractors and the Better Business Bureau.
- Company participates in dispute resolution through third party arbitration
- Have signed a customer satisfaction Pledge of Performance
- Provide maintenance agreements
- Provide and explain written warranties
- Business address is published and service trucks are clearly identified
Call the Arizona Energy Management Council at 602-266-7283 to be referred to a home energy expert who can help you with all your window treatment needs.